Day Tour Patan Dubar
Patan; it is known as Lalitpur literally means the city of art and beauty. During the Licchavi period; it was serval villages existed in what is now Lalitpur and situated across the Bagmati river about 5 km south of Kathmandu. It was founded in 3rd century A.D. by Kind Veera Dev.
At the centre of Lalitpur is its palace square; known as Mangal Bazaar literally means market of auspicious. The name mangal comes from old Newari language ‘ Mani-gwala’; it means central Palace.
In the central Palace:
Visit statue of Hanuman; known as Monkey God; the great devotees of Ram; statue of Narasimha; 4h incarnation of Vishnu and five face Ganesh; God of good luck and wisdom.
Stone Pillar of King Yog Narendra Malla in a Praying poster to Goddess Taleju Bhawani; is protected by a snake above his head and bird is seen seated on the snake. Legend says that the King would be remembered and remain immortal as long as the bird does not fly from there. In front of his statue; window of palace is kept open for the spirit of the king to come and rest in the Palace.
Harishankar Temple: three tier temple built in 17th century by wives of king Yog Narendra Malla after his death in his memory. The Temple is dedicated to Shiva and Vishnu.
Jagat Narayan Temple; known as Char Narayan Temple built in 16th century A.D in memory of his father by Purandar Singh; local nobleman. It built in a four form of Narayan; the God of protector; in central represents Vasudev; holding wheel and club facing; in south; Pradyumna holding bow and arrow; in west; Anirudra holding sword and shield; Sankarshana holding pestle and plough facing north. In front of the temple; it uses for masked dance during the month of October and November.
Krishna Temple; It is very popular temple of Lalitpur for the Hindus devotees. It was built in 17th century by King Siddhi Narsingh Malla over six and half year. The Shikhara style temple entirely made by stone with 21 golden pinnacles; the contains carved scenes from the epic of Ramayana and Mahabharata.
Vishwanath; the God of all.The two storied Pagoda style Temple built in 1627 A.D. and dedicated to Shiva and its guarded by two elephant.
Bhimsen Temple built in 17 century by King Srinivas Malla on the advice of his famous minister; Bhagirath Bhaiya. It is very popular temple for the business and traders communities.
Manidhara (Jewel Fountain); a sunken water fountain with three stone spouts each carved as a Makara which it is located at northern part of Palace. Each spout has a decorated with stone carved torna over it and under the central one are stone images of Shiva and Parvati; known as Uma- Maheshwar.
The left hand side at the top of the steps leading down to the fountain; there is an old Manimandapam ( Jwell Pavilion) with 16 carved wooden pillars. It was built by King Veera Dev. During the period of Malla Dynasty; it was often used coronation of the King and auspicious occasion such as Machindranath festival.
Three main Chowk (Mul chowk; Sundari Chowk and Mani Keshav Narayan Chowk) built in Patan Durbar Square. Most of the monuments and Temples are in this square date back to the medieval Malla period from 16th- 18th century which its credited to King Siddhi Narsingh Malla; Shri Niwas Malla and Yog Narendra Malla.
Sundari Chowk literally means beautiful; It was built in 1647 A.D. by King Siddhi Narsingh Malla. The windows and carved struts of the courtyard are very attractive; the whole stone wall of bath is carving with beautiful images of God and Goddess and its surrounding by holy sercept; the symbolic of water; the Golden water spot has images of Vishnu with Laxmi on Garuda; where King Siddhi Narsingh Malla took a ritual bath every morning.
Mul Chowk ( main courtyard); It was built by Shri Niwas Malla in the 17 century. Specially it is used to celebrating the festival during the Dasiahia festival.The courtyard has wealthy arts of Multi arms God and Goddess on the struts. The Temple of Taleju Bhawani; (the Goddess of Power) is situated here. She is very important Goddess of Malla Dynasty ; The image of Goddess River Ganga on crocodile and Yamuna on tortoise are in main entrance of Temple and image of Taleju is above the door.
Mani Keshav Chowk was a part of the earliest Malla Palace in Lalitpur which it built in about 1734 A.D. The courtyard was named it form Keshav Vishnu temple situated in the centre. The image of Avalokeshowr is above the Golden door of Palace. Inside the Palace there is museum of arts and beauty which can give you more visualization of ancient culture of Patan or Kathmandu city.
Well trained and experience tour guide; entrance fees and Private transport.
Registered with: Company Registration Office, Government of Nepal
Licensed by: Nepal Tourism Board & Department of Tourism
Proud Member of Trekking Agency's Association of Nepal
General Member of Nepal Mountaineering Association
Our partners together with our voluntary peers form the beating heart of My Global Dreams. Without them, our content would neither be validated nor up-to-date.